Funding for bespoke consultancy is provided in the form of access to academic expertise. Through Sheffield Innovation Programme businesses can receive an initial 2 – 5 days of support from Sheffield Hallam University and University of Sheffield staff to investigate a problem or challenge and develop a project proposal that will address their requirements.
Small projects can often be completed within the initial 2 – 5 day timescale but there is flexibility to offer additional time for some larger projects. For very large projects we would seek to identify options for continuation funding through, for example, Innovate UK programmes.
Sheffield Hallam University also offers support for larger projects through the initiatives detailed below:
Sheffield Hallam University is offering funded graduate-level internships to support scientific research and innovation with SMEs in the region.
Innovation bursaries fund short (6–8 weeks) lab-based research and development projects that will have a clear impact on business growth and future research and development strategy for Sheffield City Region SMEs. Projects will be delivered by graduating students working within a university department under the supervision and guidance of an experienced academic.
Academic leads will work with you to help define your project and apply for the funding. Your application should be for a project that can be realistically undertaken within a maximum of eight weeks.
Priority will be given to projects that:
- Have a clear element of technical challenge
- Impact on business growth
- Actively demonstrate new product development
- Have a pathway to future collaborative research and development
To apply for the innovation bursary, your company must be eligible for the Sheffield Innovation Programme. Please contact us for details.
Materials and Engineering
- Applications will be considered at any time.
- Projects can be delivered throughout the academic year 2019/20.
- Application deadline – April 30th 2020.
- Project delivery must be between June-August 2020.
Research expenses are not provided and a minimum fee of £300 will be charged to cover consumable costs.
Are you trying to prove the concept of an innovation step or wanting to assess the technical or commercial viability of a new product? Sheffield Hallam University is offering funded support worth up to £15,000 to help give SMEs in the region a competitive advantage.
The Proving Innovation initiative funds feasibility research for projects that will have a clear impact on business growth. Successful applicants will receive up to 25 days of a specialist academic’s time, who will explore the commercial potential of your idea by:
- reviewing research evidence and identifying possible applications
- assessing business opportunities
- validating initial concepts through experimental studies
You’ll work with the academic to define your project and apply for the funding together. Priority will be given to innovative projects that:
- Have a clear element of technical and academic challenge
- Support the development of innovative technologies and processes
- Have a pathway for future collaborative Research and Development
- Have a significant commercial impact
Applications are open to projects that can be realistically undertaken within six months and can be completed before September 2022. Your company must also be eligible for the Sheffield Innovation Programme, please contact us for details. Only one project application is allowed per company.
Applications will be considered at any time.
Contact us to find out more.